Baby Making for Everybody:
Family Building and Fertility for LGBTQ+ and Solo Parents
by Ray Rachlin, LM, CPM (she/they) and Marea Goodman, LM, CPM (she/they)
This inclusive, straightforward guide to fertility is What to Expect Before You’re Expecting for families outside the heterosexual nuclear family model—perfect for LGBTQ+ and solo parents who want to have kids but don’t know where to start.
In Baby Making for Everybody, queer millennial midwives Ray Rachlin and Marea Goodman use their professional expertise to demystify the dizzying process of pursuing parenthood as queer and solo people, offering detailed, gender-affirming, body-positive advice on topics including:
- Fertility tracking for people with uteruses
- Choosing a sperm donor, egg donor, or surrogate
- Legal considerations for LGBTQ+ families
- Navigating pregnancy and gender identity
- IUI, ICI, and IVF procedures
- Foster parenting and adoption
- Miscarriage and infertility
The result is a much-needed compassionate step-by-step guide for every aspect of the complicated, messy, and glorious process of building a family. Combining practical information with personal narratives and first-person community wisdom, this book provides prospective parents with the information they need to grow their families.